Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Internet Radio for Marketers

During the last 21 years of my life, the ways in which I have accessed music have drastically changed. I can still remember the excitement of when my dad gave me an old cassette tape player. I spent the next few months blissfully jamming to Disney's greatest hits. The player became part of my being, accompanying me on all sorts of adventures: music became a constant backdrop to my life. Just a few years later, I received a CD player, and I could listen to the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, and a slew of other amazingly embarrassing pop classics whenever and wherever I wanted. Thinner and lighter than cassette tapes, CDs were must easier to carry around, and I could easily carry up to 20 CDs in a zip-around case. My world really turned upside down when the iPod entered my life. Defined by portability and convenience, I had over 500 songs at my fingertips at any given moment, and could easily switch between albums with a spin of the click wheel.One source of music that has remained constant throughout these transitions has been the radio. Every time I step into the car or make myself a snack in the kitchen, I turn on the radio and flip through my favorite stations. Even though the radio inherently grants less control and accessibility than a CD player or an iPod, due to limited stations and advertising, neither device can provide the thrill of randomly coming across a great song. I sometimes enjoy forfeiting my control and appreciate a more passive listening experience.Over the past few years, with the government cracking down on internet piracy and illegal file sharing (see this NY Times Megaupload story), radio has transitioned to the internet with the advent of Pandora, Grooveshark, Spotify and other free and subscription-based internet radio services. These services rely on advertising content to provide listeners with a wide and diverse library of music. Furthermore, with less people buying music, music production companies may soon rely on these internet radio stations to survive. This symbiotic relationship demonstrates the importance of internet radio for advertisers and vice versa. Check out the presentation below to learn more about internet radio services and the opportunities they offer for effective marketing.Internet Radio for Marketers

No comments:

Post a Comment