Monday, May 2, 2011

How did you hear?

By now, most of the world has heard about terrorist leader Osama bin Laden's death, but Mashable is asking an interesting question: how? 

In an online poll, the site asks users how they heard the news, and as of this posting, Twitter was the leading source. In the article's comments, users described Twitter as "exploding" with the news, and many others stated that they heard the news in other places and then went to Twitter for the full story.

Given that the news first broke on the site and was then picked up by several reputable news sources before the president's broadcast last night, it's interesting to see the platform (and social media in general) become a trusted source for news among users.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm....of course a Mashable audience would skew pretty heavily towards Twitter. Love to see this with a less tech-focused audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sitting on my couch watching the Apprentice/studying. No Twitter for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm old. I go to bed early, so I found out via NPR the next morning. Nearly spit my tea across the room.

    ReplyDelete